Purchasing Guidelines

There are several methods of procuring items needed to conduct business at the University, including purchase orders, purchasing cards (credit card), and direct catalog purchases from contracted vendors through the Arizona BuyWays portal.  Please check with your faculty supervisor to determine who in the lab is authorized to make purchases.

PCARD: University-issued credit card for direct purchases. All transactions made using the Purchasing Card must benefit and support the University's mission of education, research, and public service. Fraudulent or intentional misuse of the card will result in the cancellation of the card and/or possible criminal charges.  PCards may be used for allowable purchases wherever Visa is accepted. Within specific guidelines, purchases may be made through PayPal and eBay.
Requires authorized user setup and training.
UAccess Financials Accessed via the University purchasing portal, Shop-Catalogs, Arizona BuyWays provides access to specific scientific and lab materials and supply vendors, usually at a discount. This UA web-based ordering system allows users to easily create purchase orders for these vendors. Bulk ethyl alcohol may be ordered through UA Stores through this site as well. For tax-exempt orders, please consult with Department Admin Office (Room 611) prior to ordering.
Requires authorized user setup and training.
Internal Billing: Several departments on campus offer goods and services (Chemistry Glass Shop, University Instrument Shop, Imaging Core, etc.) Each department has its own billing method. Prior to placing an order, please consult the Department Admin Office (Room 611) for specific instructions.
Purchase Order: The traditional method of ordering items through a requisition process. This method must be used for all capital purchases, hazardous materials, and purchases requiring pre-payment. It may also be required for other items such as annual contracts for goods or services and for certain travel/conference expenses.
Personal Funds Reimbursement: Use of personal funds for purchases should be limited to:
- Urgent need with no access to another purchase option
- Vendor restriction of payment type
- Qualified business expenses: approved travel or business entertainment
Original, itemized receipts are required for reimbursements.  Reimbursements made more than 90 days after the purchase are considered taxable income and are processed through payroll for taxation.
Equipment Repair: Most lab equipment is not covered by a service contract. Please see your faculty supervisor or lab manager about lab equipment issues. Some types of equipment may be diagnosed and/or repaired by University Service Shops or other outside vendors. Most repairs will be billable. All billable work requests must be authorized prior to ordering services. Estimates may sometimes be done before proceeding with work but there will likely be service charges associated with obtaining the estimate.

Vendors and Acquisition Information

Office and Misc. Supplies: The Department maintains a cabinet with general office supplies (pens, paper, etc.) available to all labs and facilities on an as-needed basis.
Tax Exempt Scientific Equipment and Chemicals: The Department Administrative Office (Room 611) must provide required tax-exempt documents and guidance for these types of purchases.
Computers and associated equipment: All computer and associated equipment purchase requests should be submitted through Department IT Support Office (Lindsey Hinz, Room 611). All types of systems are available from UA's preferred partner vendors, including Dell and Apple Education. Some systems may also qualify for a research tax exemption and these must be purchased through the Department Admin/IT Support Offices.
Software/Hardware/Books: University Bookstore and C.A.T.S. (Computer and Technology Store - located in the Bookstore lower level): This is a 3rd party vendor operation and may not be very price competitive, however, some supplies may be obtained there when time or availability does not reasonably permit otherwise. Fee-based University software licensing requests should be made to the Department Admin Office (611). (See Software Links)
Furniture: As authorized, used furniture items may be purchased through UA Surplus sales using a PCard. For new furniture purchases, please consult Jennifer Lawrence (Room 612) 621-6633.